The 2014 Open Enrollment period for obtaining health insurance is over in California . After that period, the Special Enrollment Period begins. The Special Enrollment Period runs from April 1st through November 15 2014 and it allows Californians, who experience a qualifying event to enroll in a new health insurance plan or make changes to an existing one.
A consumer has 60 days from the date of the qualifying event, including the date of the qualifying event, to apply for coverage or make a change to an existing plan. The 15th of the month is the cutoff date for a 1stof the following month effective date.
Below find a full list of qualifying events:
1. An Individual and any dependents who lose minimum essential health coverage (except if terminated for non-payment of premium.)
2. An individual gained or became a dependent through marriage, birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or placement in foster care.
3. An individual experienced an error in enrollment.
4. An individual adequately demonstrated that the plan or issuer substantially violated a material provision of the contract in which she/he is enrolled.
5. An individual became newly eligible or ineligible for advance payments of the premium tax credit or is experiencing a change in eligibility for cost-sharing reductions.
6. An individual or enrollee made a permanent move and new coverage is available.
7. An individual, who was not previously a citizen, national, or recently lawfully present individual gains such a status . ( This is only applicable to coverage purchased through the Marketplace)
8. A Native American, as defined by section 4 of the Indian Health Care Improvement Act, may enroll in a QHP or change from one QHP to another one time per month. (This is only applicable to coverage purchased through the Marketplace.)
9. An individual released from incarceration.
So even if the Open Enrollment Period has passed there is still ways for Californians to enroll in the new Affordable Health Care plans.
Our mission at Solid Health Insurance Services is to find Californians affordable health insurance which fits your health and budget needs with the doctor of your choice.