“The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently announced a special enrollment period (SEP) that will allow eligible consumers to apply for and enroll in coverage. Covered California and Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) have followed CMS and adopted a similar Special Enrollment Period for enrollment that will run through April 30th, 2015. This SEP applies to both On and Off exchange applications. Anthem is the only insurance carrier who allows to apply on and off the exchange For more information, please see the press release from Covered California. Below are details about the process when applying for the exchange and directly through Anthem.
New Off Exchange Applications (we are only accepting paper applications for this SEP):
- Must not be currently enrolled in a health care plan
- Attest that they did not realize there was a tax penalty (complete this attestation form)
- In addition, individuals applying for coverage during this SEP must write “I Did Not Know About the Tax Penalty” somewhere on the first page of the application, submit a completed and signed attestation form, and submit payment or select auto payment method. Applications submitted between the 1st and 15th of the month will have an effective date of the 1st of the following month. Applications submitted after the 15th, will have an effective date of the 1st of the month after next.
- Applications submitted without “I Did Not Know About the Tax Penalty” written on the first page or no Qualifying Event box checked will be returned. If the application is due to a “Normal” qualifying event – the Qualifying Event box must be checked because standard effective date rules would apply.
Off Exchange Applications denied after February 15th, 2015 (for missing the original open enrollment deadline and not specifying a qualifying event on their application):
- Applicants that submitted an application with premium (including an authorization to withdraw premium) but were denied coverage after February 15th for missing the original open enrollment deadline and not specifying a qualifying event on their application, will have the option to have a 3/1/15 original effective date (OED) or an OED following the guidelines noted above.
- They must complete and submit a new application with “I didn’t know about the tax penalty” language on page 1, along with the completed attestation form. “